Given how important mobile is becoming to the future of shopping, we decided to quantify mobile shopping conversion and mobile shopping influence across a number of retailers. To do so, we conducted a study of mobile shoppers who used the Nextag mobile site over a 10-week period from June to September 2012.
The results were surprising. Here’s what we found:
- Two-thirds (65%) of mobile Nextag users who are linked to a seller’s web site eventually purchase the exact or similar product they were shopping for
- Almost one-quarter (22%) of these purchases are made from the linked merchant:
- One-quarter purchased immediately via their mobile device
- Over one-third purchased from the merchant’s retail store
- The remaining purchases were made later via computer or mobile device
- Customers purchase, but they often delay
- Of the customers who buy the exact product, half purchase within 48 hours and half take longer than 48 hours to buy
- More expensive products take longer to buy
- Mobile Nextag customers are typically at home when they are linked to the merchant, reflecting a shift from computer to mobile usage, even at home
- Mobile Nextag customers who do not purchase immediately are serious shoppers who intend to buy
- More than half are checking prices
- Half say they are seriously considering buying the product
(A “Linked merchant” is a merchant link on Nextag.com. “Another online merchant” means they purchased the product online from a different online e-commerce website.)
When measured by clicks alone, mobile may not appear to be that important. But looking at the way people actually use their devices to search and make purchases makes it clear that mobile is more important than meets the eye.
Recommendations for retailers:
- Develop your mobile website. If you don’t already have one, you’re missing out on significant revenue.
- Track your mobile conversion rates, as well as your mobile-to-retail conversion rates – and spend compensatory dollars driving mobile traffic.
- Develop your website using responsive design so you can easily communicate your product and your catalog on a mobile device. Spend money on improved mobile interfaces and mobile checkouts, allowing for a simplified checkout process as much as possible.
- Get to know your mobile customers without asking any personal information. Capture user history and actions based on the device id without requiring consumers to enter any personal information.
- Make it easy for your customers to sign up for your loyalty program and employ techniques for strong customer engagement on your mobile website or mobile app.
- If you have physical stores, make use of your customer’s existing location to target specific products.
- Capture the mobile shopper within the first 48 hours to close the sale. Continued contact after their first visit is vital to closing the sale. Experiment with:
- Personal emails
- Retargeting ads
- Live chat/calls to answer shopping questions
- Displaying countdown clocks to push conversion
- Communicating the benefits of online shopping with free shipping and free returns
- Offering price matching guarantees
Wize Commerce is in the process of integrating mobile into our Silhouette revenue optimization services. If you want to be one of the first to implement and test a mobile Silhouette, please contact us.